Thursday, July 10, 2008

Petrol Price Fluctuations, why?

I've been thinking about why petrol prices rise and fall during the week and why.

It seems to me that the petroleum industry is one of the few that can rip off the public just because it's pay day, or a public holiday.

Why is it so that on Wednesday afternoon at around 4pm the price of fuel rises by usually 4cents or so. Just because the majority of the population live week to week and fill up their fuel tanks around this time, the petrol stations think this is a great time to rip it to the public and make a quick buck.

A long weekend comes up, and the same thing happens, the price rises again.

Just yesterday fuel was $1.59 per litre and then this morning it had jumped to $1.65. 

I have two businesses myself and am sure that if I raised my prices on a day to day basis, I would never make a cent. In the last 3 years I have never increased my prices until last month due to all the suppliers doing it. In general the building industry has a price every 12 months, and most companies wear these costs increases themselves or end up pricing themselves out of the market. 

Fuel has increased on average 65 cents per litre since I started my business. Thats a fair whack of increase to take out of our own pockets. I'm sure that most people have not had that sort of payrise themselves in the last 3 to 5 years.

The powers that be should step in and say enough is enough, the price of fuel needs to stay fixed permanently and evaluated on a month by month basis dependent on the world price of fuel.

Faz Out

No comments: