Sunday, June 22, 2008

Renewable Energy

Yesterday I had the fortune to be sitting next to a gentleman on our flight back from Sydney and we got to discussing things about Australia. Topics like the fuel costs and renewable energy.

He mentioned to me that Australia has the best resources in the world for us to become a world leader in renewable energy if we just bothered to get past the types of mindsets we currently have.

This is something that really got me thinking as it's an issue I guess would be starting to turn on peoples minds more and more often.

A couple of things discussed was that Australia has such a huge amount of land mass that gets vast quantities of sunlight every single day. Now this idea would probably cost a fortune to get started, but the possibilities after it could definately outweight the expense.

Imagine if in our outer desert regions were covered in solar panels to collect energy from the sun during the day. Think how much land there is in Australia that doesn't even get used for anything other than being land. Why not take advantage of this resource and start collecting power from the solar panels. He mentioned that we could collect enough power in around 2 hours to power the planet for a day. I'm not to sure on the figures as I don't have a science degree or know how much power either the world uses in a day or what can be collected. But I do know that we are starting to use solar panels more so for when we are camping and stuff and it doesn't take a huge amount of panels to get the main things running that we require.

That was just one thing to think about.

The next was the point that Australia is completely surrounded by ocean, and that we could collect power by have wave power generators put in. I don't really know about this, but I'm sure there is a generator invented that can collect power from the motion of the ocean.

These were just two of the things we discussed. Items I thought should really be brought to light and let others think about as well.

Anyway, until my next thought. 

Faz out.

No comments: