Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Alcopop Tax Increase

How much has this topic made some changes to the cost of having a drink after work.

As someone that doesn't mind having a bourbon after a long days work, I was quite disappointed to see the amount it increased to the price.

Personally I drink Wild Turkey bourbon, and don't mind buying the premixed in carton form to save a few dollars when buying them. But the price increased by an average of $1 per bottle in the carton. Quite an increase. Granted I still buy them this way when I'm off to a party or camping and such. But I always have bottles in my own bar to mix my own when I feel like a drink.

After being at a few parties recently that had 18year olds and other age groups, the one thing I noticed was that instead of them bringing premixed drinks, they all seemed to turn up with full bottles.

There has to be a worse situation when they are mixing their own drinks. The measures are not accurate so they drink alot more than they normally would. At least with premixed drinks, the measures are done right and are controlled.

Instead of a tax increase, wouldn't it have been better to bring in an age card that stops them from buying more than say a 6 pack per day? or per week? if the government is truly interested in trying to stop binge drinking, limiting it is the only real way I can foresee it to be possible.

Considering they now have laws in place that don't allow young drivers to have passengers in their car after certain times of the day and other laws for young drivers that older ones don't have, they should be able to do the same with the drinking.

To me I believe this was more of a money grab from an area that most of Australia enjoys regularly. If it was indeed to curb binge drinking, then why is the more responsible part of the population paying the price of it as well?

Faz out

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am not sure it will stand there is a polly n the senate trying to stop it.

If they really where concerned with binge drinking they would target the companies that sell these pre mix drinks as candy water and lift the drinking age to 21, at least then the drivers would have 4 years of drinking experience before thinking about geting behind the wheel after a few drinks.